BAAL-LiA SIG Annual Conference 2019
Theme: ‘Language and decolonisation in 21st Century Africa’
Venue:School of Languages and Applied Linguistics, University of Portsmouth
Date: Friday May 10th 2019
Time: 10 am – 5.30 pm
Professor Rosemary Wildsmith-Cromarty – Professor of Applied Linguistics. University of Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa.
ABSTRACTS of up to 250 words for 20 minute presentations are now invited, to be sent to Goodith White, Convenor, at: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com no later no later than no later than February 15th 2019. We also invite proposals for posters. As in previous years, it may be possible for a small number of people to deliver their papers via Skype from Africa.
Topics for papers could consider (among other things):
- What are the latest policy developments with regard to the tensions between former imperial languages and local languages in different African countries?
- What are the issues and challenges in the adoption of local or global languages in education and academic research?
- How do different languages co-exist in daily social practices, including digital communication?
- How are languages used at work?
- How has the debate evolved for the creation of literature, songs and films?
REGISTRATION: Please register by April 22nd 2019 so that we can make a final order for catering for the day. This is included in the attendance fee of £27 for BAAL members, £37 for non-members, £20 for BAAL student members (other students £22). We particularly welcome postgraduate students. Register here Enquiries to: Colin Reily firstname.lastname@example.org